Tuesday, September 22, 2009

America in crisis


When you see this sign Uncle Sam is calling you to the navy or the army or any branch of the US arm forces for that matter. The United States is in a crisis right now, I’m not talking about the economic down turn or the war in Iraq, I’m talking about the problem the United States faces with under age drinking. A very valid point made in opposition of lowering the drinking age would be that teenagers are irresponsible and don’t think many decisions through, however given the fact that most drunk driving convictions are linked to men between the age of 25 and 30.i feel that I should not be punished for the people who choose to break the law, the law should be more severe; so people don’t even think about driving home after a night at the bar as a gamble. This just goes to show that maybe the problem isn’t the age people drink rather it’s an authority issue. Think of the government as the ultra controlling parent, the American people have grown up and realized that their bigger and stronger than the once intimidating authority figure. This is still no excuse to participate in illegal activities; however I feel that if the government wants to do some good they need to crack down harder on those who are breaking the law and not punish those responsible to get a ride or just call a cab! I am a very responsible 19 year old and I feel that if I want to have a beer while having some crabs I should not be look down on, or worst get in trouble.In most European countries the drinking age is ridiculously low, making alcohol not this huge sought after beverage, like it is here in the US. However in the US you are allowed to be taken from your home shipped thousands of miles away and shot at or even killed, but Uncle Sam thinks you’re too young to have a beer. The theory behind the drinking is absolutely ridiculous; make beer and alcohol illegal to everyone under 21, than fill the media with images of how “cool” drinking is and how when you drink you will have so much fun. The same concept applies to the kid who steels his parent’s car and crashes it because they don’t let him drive it he didn’t know what to do, its better instead to slowly give privileges and not just hold them back. The same applies to the drinking age, the more you restrict it the more of a problem it will become.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree. I don't drink to break the law. I drink to have a good time (professor difabio, just ignore that :) haha). And I think it's ridiculous that when you turn 18 you can be shot at, but not able to drink a beer. It's pretty dumb. I totally know where you're coming from. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, people risk their lives to protect this country and they cant even have a beer if they want. Good topic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic, I really like how you give an alternative solution to the problem. I think that harsher punishments and more enforcement will make people think twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete